Guadalupe Mountains National Park announces the 3rdannual celebration of Frijole Days: A Celebration of our Heritage, a day of West Texas fun in the national park on Saturday, June 2 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Enjoy live music from three bands, a ranger-led hike, Frijole Ranch tours, a mule packing demonstration, frontier games and crafts! Bring a picnic lunch, sit beneath the pecan trees, and enjoy an afternoon of music and West Texas culture. Light refreshments will be available at event.
1. A guided hike to Smith Springs in conjunction with the 50thanniversary of National Trails Day. The hike, a moderate 2.5 miles round-trip trek, features a 400' elevation gain that passes by two desert springs. Frijole Ranch Trailhead, 8:00-10:00 a.m.
2. A presentation and book signing by Glen Sample Ely on his work, The Texas Frontier and the Butterfield Overland Mail, 1858–1861. Pine Springs Visitor Center, 10:00-11:00 a.m.
3. Live music performed at Frijole Ranch
· Doug Figgs, Western singer/songwriter, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
· The Muletones – West Texas folk musicians, 12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
· BettySoo - Folk musician from Austin, Texas, 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
4. Frontier games, craft activities for kids, booths by local public land agencies, and mule packing demonstration.
The event is sponsored by Western National Parks Association (WNPA) and is free and open to the public, but standard park entrance fees apply. For more information on the national park, visit the park website (nps.gov/gumo), follow Guadalupe Mountains National Park on Facebook (@guadalupe.mountains) and Instagram (@guadalupemountainsnps), or call 915-828-3251 for more details.